the last bug for Vers 2.0 (as far as I know)

mooreken

the last bug for Vers 2.0 (as far as I know)

Post by mooreken »

As no one has had anything to post for a while.This has left the door open for another one of my Long Winded postingsYou have been warned :oldmoon:

I mentioned to a few of you about the issue I was having with my Speedometer.
I'll review the facts.
The new TKX transmission came with an electronic pickup already in place and my Stewart Warner speedo is also electric. The old trans used an adapter with the stock gear drive.
After figuring out the wiring (I didn't hit it the first go around) and measuring out a mile with Janices car (the calibration counts the clicks for the mile and sets the speedo to the corrected distance) I hit the road.

All seemed good. Driving around the surface streets it acted like the calibration was very close and all was good.
Then I took it up onto the interstate and things were also good....for a while. Up to about 70mph everything looked great but around 80 give or take the needle would quickly move to 100 and keep climbing. Then if I backed off the gas it would drop back to the correct speed until I gassed it up to maintain the 70ish speed then it would get to 100+ again.
Being a fiberglass car and by the way it was acting I was guessing it to be a ground issue, but I really didn't know where to start looking as I had given it a dedicated ground wire.

On a whim I searched the 'ol interweb and found Stewart Warner's support address and sent an email with the above description.
Within 48hrs they sent me a reply with the suggestion that I put a 1000ohm .5W resistor in series with the sensor output wire. (I have to admit that I would not have thought of that).
So I Googled electronic stores in Jacksonville.....No one had resistors. I went to 3 locations and W.W. Granger to no avail. All of the Radio Shack stores have closed up. This had me thinking that having moved on from my Ham Radio hobby may have been a good thing.

Most of the parts people that I spoke to also mentioned that previous customers also missed Radio Shack.
So the 'ol interweb and Amazon it is. I found resistors no problem, only around $6 but I had to get a pack of 100 resistors. (no idea what I am going to do with 99 resistors now).

Good news is that the $6 fix is what it needed. Speedo now reads correctly above 70mph and is even smoother than the old trans and sending unit.

Hope you enjoyed my little story, Have a Happy New Year all...
Ken
Tom Wells

Re: the last bug for Vers 2.0 (as far as I know)

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Interesting info - don't think I'd ever think of that either...

BTW I hope you didn't jinx your car my mentioning the word "last" :shhh:

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I don’t think so. It’s used to me saying that…. :lol:
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Ken, next time try Radio Shack online. I recently ordered some zener diodes for the GT.