Kens Cobra vers. 2.0

mooreken

Re: Kens Cobra vers. 2.0

Post by mooreken »

Here are the projects all lined up.
Radiator removed for access to the back side of the body damage, and the new block moved into the repair area.
IMG_2190.jpg
IMG_2190.jpg (174.11 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

I decided to set the rod to block clearances in the new Dart block. So I put the crank in with the two end main caps and the bearings from the broken block. Then I grabbed a piston assy and tried to put the piston and rod into the block.....forgetting that the piston is .030 over size and the cylinder is .010 under size..so it didnt fit. :lol: :roll:
As I was hoping to have all my grinding done before I sent the block to the machine shop so that when it comes back all clean I dont make more metal shavings into the clean block.

After a lot of thought I reverted back to my wood tools and came up with this.
Ken
Wood piston.jpg
Wood piston.jpg (776.96 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Are those zip ties accurate to .0001"? :lol:

Just wondering if the rod position is OK for a grinding reference....

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Tom. Yes...it is plenty ok. I can see the ark of the travel and how it moves...also I have about almost twice the clearance that it needs. The rods are set up for a stroker. With the 12 point 7/16" heads it gives a lot of room. I really think that it would have been ok without any work as it was already clearanced for 3.75" and I have 3.875 but I touched it up anyway...Was lots less than what I did on the stock block.
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Here is a short video of the process...

https://youtu.be/yT3n7J6KLX0
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Things were going good for the new motor. Until I got all the parts to the machine shop, I was hopeful to be able to use the pistons but they are just over the line to be sensible to put in the motor.
That is bad enough but it keeps getting worse. The COVID excuse has left a trail of out of stock for almost everything including pistons.

Looks like September before I get them. Maybe even til the middle of that month.

So, plenty of time to do the body repairs. Might even move the Brake pedal over a couple of inches.
And there always is the Triumph sitting right there beside the cobra.
Ken
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Ouch :evil:

Maybe there's a motor somewhere local that you can borrow. Just for street use of course :mrgreen:

Or should we make a run to LKQ in Daytona and get an "el-cheapo" from them to tide you over... They get ~360 for a complete motor!

If it can be solved with money, it isn't a problem LOL

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Tnx Tom. :lol:
I’m almost at the point that buying a crate engine might have been a wiser choice. BUT half of the fun in the hobby for me is building the components and having something that is a little different than all the rest.
And after having had 500 HP I just didn’t want to go back even though I probably wouldn’t miss anything with 450 like I had before.

Now I’m in way too far to back out so I shall keep going along.
I was hopeful to make the next Daytona TE day but I now think that is not going to be possible.
So I’m using the time to update and repair things that I have been putting off.
Ken
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

E440776B-CE4D-405A-9A21-B58A76B4437B.jpeg
E440776B-CE4D-405A-9A21-B58A76B4437B.jpeg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
I’ve covered up the car to prepare todo what would scare off most folks..the next time I post I will have taken the grinder and totally destroy the paint on the front of the car.

But I have the time as I wait for the pistons to me made.
Ken
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

With the pistons being on back order for a month or more. I used some of the down time to do some busy work.
The new TKX will not warranty unless the bellhousing is withing .005" of being centered. So YouTube to the rescue and I took some measurements.

https://youtu.be/Zl506fh8w4E

Ken