Track day tires.

mooreken

Track day tires.

Post by mooreken »

Here is another of my long winded stories about my experience at the tire store. I’m not going to post the store as they did what the could and were nice people. (I’ll tell in person or text if you want to know)

Here's another sorta long story🤣
I went to a tire store today to mount and balance the track day tires for the cobra.
First thing is they wanted to put what kinda car it was for in the computer.
So I figured to tell them they were track day/off road tires as they won't have the car in the computer. I got the classic "deer in headlights" stare.
I was told they had to have the car to make sure the tires will fit for "safety" reasions. I again explained that I brought the tires and wheels without a car and they were for off road use.
Still did not compute.
So after a long and painful ordeal at the computer they finally got the computer to accept some kind of mustang convertible (cobra) that they had to put in the size of tires I had at zero cost so a work order could be made.
They did let me watch as I wanted to inspect the wheels before the new tires went on.
Then I also wanted to replace the valve stem with metal ones (they resist being pushed out at high speed from centrifugal forces).
As they fumbled around I told them I would install them so that they would not be responsible. But I needed 2 wrenches For the double lock nut to keep it from backing out. The young tech disappeared for a while then the shop manager showed up to take over as the nice but young tech still had deer eyes.
After a while he showed up with a box of tools like you got from HF that were the shop Forman's personal tools. No tools for regular repairs were in the store.
While there was a 12mm wrench and a socket the wrench was too fat to do the double nut thing. A asked for needle nosed pliers but nope none in store.

I had to get my leatherman pliers from the truck to do the valve stems.
It did end well as they did a nice balance job and did the directional part without me having to get involved.

It sure made me both miss the old service station environment along with the simplicity of just pulling up. Get the work done and pay the bill.
BlackSnake

Re: Track day tires.

Post by BlackSnake »

Ken, it certainly is a different world than the one we grew up in… :doh:
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

If you need to do something like this in the future let me know. There's a place I use in Palatka that can handle it no problem.

Tom
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Tnx Tom. But too far away.
I do have a friend that has the machines I can use, but I try not to ask for that much of a favor.

And I wanted to try the road force balance.
Ken