Mike's GT40 gets redone

mooreken

Re: Mike's GT40 gets redone

Post by mooreken »

And that is a telling picture on why hot rods don't like to sit around...lol

I have tried to mess around with the photo settings on my iPhone also. Mostly gave up and I just send the photos from the phone to my email account. When I do that, it askes how large I want to pics to be, and I choose medium...small is a little grainy. Then I use the computer to send them the web site. You can also get them from the email with the phone and save to the phone to send the web site then delete the smaller ones from the phone.

The motor seems to be a good one. Plenty of power and who would complain about Roush parts... :dance:
Ken
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

That’s how I’ve resized photos for posting in the past, but it’s an extra step I was trying to avoid. It looks like shooting the photo in a lower zoom setting, or cropping the photo will also work and allow me to post directly from my phone without running through email.

You’re absolutely correct that hot rods shouldn’t be allowed to sit for long periods…and I guess that applies to us as well…😉

I have to say, I much prefer the way sbc water pump and timing cover is configured vs sbf. Much simpler modular design, no wonder sbc costs less to buy and build…😁
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Today I removed the balancer, the timing cover, the timing chain and the oil pan. Everything is clean and tidy as expected for a nearly 18 year old brand new crate motor…😉

Looking into the crankcase I can confirm the pistons are Probe forged, the forged rods are likely Scat as the ARP rod bolts also say Scat. I suspect the nodular cast stroker crank may also be Scat.

From what I can see of the cam gear, it does not appear damaged, but I’ll reserve any further comment until it comes out and I can examine it more closely.

I’ve only recovered a few small bits of metal from the damaged distributor gear, which has me perplexed. 🤔
Attachments
IMG_0959.jpeg
IMG_0959.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 35572 times
IMG_0958.jpeg
IMG_0958.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 35572 times
IMG_0957.jpeg
IMG_0957.jpeg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 35572 times
IMG_0955.jpeg
IMG_0955.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 35572 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Maybe some of the bits ended up in the filter?

Also, is that a 4-bolt main Ford Racing aftermarket block?
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

I haven’t opened up the filters yet, waiting to see what I find in the pump and pickup first. If they’re clean, then the bigger pieces didn’t pass through.

I’m anxious to examine the pump, pickup and the cam this weekend, then I can determine next steps and start ordering parts.

Ford Racing 2 bolt Sportsman block.
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Well, I think I’ve effectively dodged a bullet. The cam gear appears quite serviceable. Barely shows a few minor shiny and scuffed areas, but no chipped, worn or cracked teeth. The only metal pieces and grit from the distributor gear seemed to be isolated to the small forward sump.

The pickup extends to the larger rear sump. I found nothing in the pickup screen or tube. I’ll take a fine hone to the sharp edges and rough spots, but I thinks it’s good for reinstall. Oh, and I dropped in the original, known good distributor, and the gears mesh well and appear fully engaged.

Everything I look at is very clean. I still need to check inside the pump gears, but I don’t expect I’ll see anything concerning at this point and I don’t think I need to disassemble the rotating assembly or remove the heads. Now to start ordering parts and gaskets…😎
Attachments
IMG_0966.jpeg
IMG_0966.jpeg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 5796 times
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 5796 times
IMG_0965.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 5796 times
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

That looks like some pretty rowdy lobes on that there camshaft :animals-dogrun:
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Yeah, fairly aggressive…😎😎

I’m trying to verify the cam specs as listed in the Ford installation doc (attached picture), but none of the numbers on the rear of the cam turn up matching specs. The number etched on the casting between the rear journal and the last lobe is 449359 007711, nothing comes up for this one either…🤔

I think it’s supposed to be XE282HR or similar grind for this motor, but unable to verify.
Attachments
IMG_0967.png
IMG_0967.png (353.89 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Cam looks pretty bad ass. Specs. are close to my Thumpr.
Int. 286
Exh. 303
Int. lift .511
Exh Lift 241
However my rocker ratio is only 1.52

Should get the GT down the road real nice.
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/10518 ... omparison/

Here’s a link to a MT article where they base tested my motor and then tried increasingly more aggressive cams. The base cam actually produced more HP than Ford rated the motor for.

It’s also a pretty good cam for the Webers with 112 lobe separation.

Btw, I assume .241 exh lift is a typo…😉