The Cobra isn’t the only thing needing work.

mooreken

The Cobra isn’t the only thing needing work.

Post by mooreken »

44891B25-9023-4D47-9C5E-3A4DBE6C41A4.jpeg
44891B25-9023-4D47-9C5E-3A4DBE6C41A4.jpeg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
Sometimes the tow truck needs work.
I put in the UV die and there are streaks around the clutch. So before the compressor blows up and put metal through out the system I’m going to fix it up.
mooreken

Re: The Cobra isn’t the only thing needing work.

Post by mooreken »

Well sense not much is going happening on the site I'll give a running account of my AC repair.
It has been up and down so far. First I searched all over for my AC gauges and did find them along with some adaptors and 2 cans of R134a left over from the old days. That was good. But as I tried to use them the hoses were very brittle and the adaptors were not quite what I needed.
So a search for a 20% coupon for Harbor Freight and off I go.
The next good thing was the HF gauge set was only $59 before coupon so all is well and I got another can of Freon while I was there.

Proceeding on with the advice given to me by my Uncle many years ago, "always start with the hardest part first. That way when you do get there and all frustrated everything else is easier." I tackled the accumulator. Packed way back in and under the firewall.
I did get it out and only had to unhook several electrical and vacuum connections. End of day one.

On Day 2 however the reinstall it just wouldn't do right. So I undid even more connections and well I hate to say it but it went right in fairly easily. Should have did that to start it would have saved a couple of hours.
I found several vacuum lines that needed replaced, that was a bonus, 100,000 miles does take its toll.
I finished up day 2 with getting the electrical connections off the pump and moving the things around it so I can drop if down after I get to the bolts...they are a little hidden.

Hopefully day 3 will get the pump installed and vacuum drawn down and holding..... ..]
mooreken

Post by mooreken »

Day 3 was going well compressor came off with no broken bolts...although 2 of the bolts didn't have enough room to completely remove after they were loose but the compressor did come out. I did have to unbolt the idler arm to get enough room do drop the compressor.
The expansion valve also came out without any trouble.
Installation went well, I had to tape the 2 bolts onto the compressor to hold in place to install.

I hooked up the new HF gauge set and got ready to connect to the vacuum pump....well lets say that the ol' F150 still had one more trick to play on me.
Along with changing the charge ports with R134a style fittings....they also changed the vacuum port connection so I couldnt connect the yellow hose to the pump.

After digging though all my stuff I found all sorts of fittings and adaptors but nothing would fit or even something that I could weld or solder to fit.
By now it was late in the afternoon so I gave my neighbor a call (he does home and business AC work) to see if he had a newer style pump and he did. ..]
Hooked it up and let it run for an hour closed all the valves and left it soak overnight.

Morning came on Day 4 and the vacuum was still holding....Great news.
But I still had one more adaptor to find. The can filling valve. While I did have several of the fill adaptors from small cans of Freon that I have used over the years to top off the AC. Those will not let me use the gauges to monitor the fill.
A quick internet search showed that NAPA had one. So off I go in the Cobra to the NAPA store (nice ride though).

Back with the adaptor and my HF digital scale I was able to get the correct amount of R134a into the system and the things blows 38-40 degree cold air.
A little reassembly of the wire harness supports that the low side fill port hides behind and I'm back on the road and ready for Track Day at the end of the month..
Stay well ... and cool.

Ken
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

COOL! ;)

Tom