Hydraulic TOB

BittenAgain

Hydraulic TOB

Post by BittenAgain »

Anyone familiar with hydraulic throwout bearings? Took the car out for a ride on Thursday before the lockdown takes effect. Gorgeous day for a last ride. Getting ready to head back from Palatka. Clutch pedal started getting soft and had trouble getting it into gear. Drove across bridge in first gear and limped into AutoZone parking lot. Remote reservoir for clutch was empty. Got fluid and refilled it. Was able to pump pedal and get clutch to work enough to get into gear, pumped pedal before shifting each time and was able to shift. Cruised back in 4th on 207/206. When nearing Rt 1, went to downshift and heard sound like metal rubbing on sheet metal when pumping pedal. Was able to coast into Sidney's (where car is stored). Reservoir level held up. Don't know if bleeding TOB will help, but need to get it up in the air and see what I can see. Anyone familiar/experienced with hydraulic TOB bleeding procedure, or have thoughts on the matter? Hoping I'm not following in Mike's footsteps and needing a clutch. Haven't even done one burnout! ;) :)
"The older I get, the faster I was..."
BlackSnake

Re: Hydraulic TOB

Post by BlackSnake »

Hey Bob, sorry to hear it, but really not unexpected with HTOB. It will need to be replaced, and probably the driven disc too since it is likely soaked with hyd oil. Strongly recommend conversion to external slave cylinder. Stefan went through this a few years back on his SPF and he wisely converted to external slave unit. Best of luck.
Tom Wells

Post by Tom Wells »

Bob,

I think Mike has a bit more experience with this problem than he said :lol:

I'd second his suggestion. Maybe Kirkham has a kit of parts available?

Tom
BittenAgain

Post by BittenAgain »

Thanks Tom & Mike for the input...will let you know outcome. Likely will end up doing the conversion. Maybe will check with Stefan, also... Bob
Cobra 65

Post by Cobra 65 »

Hey Bob,

It was nice talking to you.
I would go the extra mile for an external slave.

Welcome to the Club!

Stefan
BittenAgain

Post by BittenAgain »

Thanks for your insights, Stefan. I'm planning to put it up on a lift this week to try and see what is going on. If there is an external line leaking and I can postpone replacing the TOB, then I'll do that. I may try and use a scope to see what is happening inside the bell housing if it's not that simple. Otherwise, decision time! Bob
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Hopefully it will only be a leaking line or fitting, but HTOBs are notorious for blowing seals. Meaning, if it hasn't happened yet, it will.
BittenAgain

Post by BittenAgain »

That seems to be the consensus of what I am finding. Hoping to get a look later in the week and see what's going on...
BittenAgain

Good Thursday

Post by BittenAgain »

Today was a good Thursday, just in time for Good Friday...put the car up on a lift, found a nick in the reservoir hose where it went around a heat shielding, which had caused the reservoir to drain and allow air to get into the line. Replaced the section of hose, leaving a little extra to go wide of the shield, bled the system and all is good. While it was up in the air, I used a probe scope to look inside the bell housing, saw no signs of leakage/damage (other than a little rear seal oil leak, like they all do), so I think I may have dodged a bullet. Not saying that the hydraulic TOB will last forever, but I'm sure not going to replace it until I need to. Happy day! Think maybe I'll be reckless and take a cruise on Saturday, if anyone is up for a run somewhere...getting a little cabin fever...
BlackSnake

Post by BlackSnake »

Glad to hear it was just the hose Bob, good news indeed! ..]

I could do a run Sunday. :W: