Transmission Damage

mooreken

Transmission Damage

Post by mooreken »

I thought I would start a new post for the transmission as it looks like it is going to be a bit involved.
I got the rebuild/overhaul kit from what appears to be one of the foremost builders of T-5 and other mussel car manual transmissions. He even wrote a book on it and has very nice YouTube videos.

I have taken apart the main shaft and found my first group of issues (I don't know if they are problems yet).
While all YouTube videos and information on the web are for Ford, everyone notes that the GM internals are "nearly" the same. Now I have to admit that I have no idea of the history of this transmission. It was an eBay purchase and it had been gone thru at least one disassembly (I wont call it an overhaul) as there are miss matched parts. The cover is date coded 1983 and the main case is 1989. GM didn't use a WC T-5 until 1988 as best as I can tell.
My first trouble is the 3-4 slider's indent pins are at least 3x's larger than any that I have seen on any video. Also larger than the GM kit I got from the supplier. Then there is a thrust washer that has a tang built into it. No videos have ever shown that either. Also not in the kit. Then there is the fact that all videos have caged roller bearings for the gears. Mine does not have any caged bearings.

So I have sent an email with photos to the supplier and I'm waiting for the return contact. He is located in Jupiter Fl. So a road trip is not out of the question if needed.

Ken
Attachments
IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG (480.96 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG (639.93 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG (112.47 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG (101.06 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Last edited by mooreken on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Wells

Re: Transmission Damage

Post by Tom Wells »

Ken,

Uh, oh...

Sounds like another "bolts right in" project - sorry 'bout that!

If you want some company for the Jupiter road trip, let me know. If I'm in town I'll be glad to go along.

Tom
mooreken

Re: Transmission Damage

Post by mooreken »

The parts supplier called me back even thou he was at a show in Indianapolis In. As with most eBay items mine was not quite as advertised. It turned out that I have a World Class cluster, case and input shaft. All the rest of the parts are non-world class so it is a bit of a hybrid.(how's that for using the "H" word in a cobra forum).
So I am exploring my options. To put it back the way it was or upgrade all the wrong parts to WC.

Ken